Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mommies Need Toys Too


It's always interesting to see how long my boys are attracted to their toys after Christmas.  Some toys are lucky enough to become permanent staples in their world of "make believe" and some toys are just destined for the toy box.  Either way, every January, there's new sounds and activities in our house as the boys are trying out their newest possessions.  I think it's healthy for the guys to explore new things and to try new kinds of play.

It occurred to me that sometimes Mommies need to try out new things too.  Sometimes we need to get ourselves motivated to do the seemingly mundane.  And sometimes, getting ourselves mommy "toys" is a great way to get ourselves going.  For some mommies, it takes a big toy like a new washing machine to get excited about doing laundry.  For some super brave mommies, new yard equipment will motivate them to plant their spring garden.  And for other mommies, it might just take a new curling iron or a box of make-up to motivate them to put themselves together each morning.  For me, I need kitchen toys to make myself want to cook.

Every year for Christmas, I put kitchen gadgets and cookbooks on my wish list.  I'm sure it puzzles everyone who is buying for me.  Because honestly, no one knows me as much of a cook.  But my husband will probable attest to the fact that every January my meals get a little bit better and we find ourselves able to "eat-in" a little more.  For whatever reason, my new toys help me enjoy my unfavorite (it's not a word, but go with it) task for at least a few months--at least until my husband's grilling season picks up in full swing.

This year, between Christmas and my loyalty points at my grocery store, I really scored some new toys.

 









Who knows, maybe in some future posts I'll be brave enough to  share some pics of my kitchen experiences.  Or maybe I'll just enjoy pretending to be a Top Chef in the privacy of my own kitchen.  Either way, the family should be eating well for at least a few more weeks.

If you don't think this type of motivation works, go out and get yourself a new toy.  You might be surprised how much fun it is to play with a new gadget.  Think of it as an intellectually stimulating experience that can make you a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment