Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Come Back Kid


As is typical after church on Sunday, my family had a big discussion about what we were going to do for Sunday lunch.  I know that there are families out there who have a fancy homemade Sunday dinner planned out every week, but somehow I doubt that will ever become a reality in our house.  In fact, I actually prefer "going out" on Sunday afternoons so that I can have my day of rest and let someone else cook.  Apparently my family has grown accustomed to this weekly tradition too, because this Sunday the discussion was solely a discussion as to WHERE we were going to eat--not just WHAT we all wanted to eat.

This Sunday, my 3 year old informed us that he wanted to go to McDonald's.  Unfortunately for him, nobody else wanted McDonald's.  My husband explained to him that Daddy was going to choose somewhere else to eat.  After all, Daddies get to make important decisions like this, because that's all a part of being a Daddy.  This explanation didn't appease my son at all.  Naturally, he asked my husband why we couldn't go to McDonald's and why Daddy didn't want to eat there...

This was about the point in the conversation where I checked out.  I mean, my son wants an explanation for everything, all the time.  And as is the norm for lawyers' kids, he wants to debate everything.  So at this point, a debate of some sort ensued.  And I decided not to take part in it.  From what I remember, my husband was winning.  Until my son found a way to get what he thought was the last word. 

He said, "Well someday when I'm older and I have my own baby (dramatic pause), I'm going to take him to McDonald's EVERY DAY!" 

It was awesome.  My husband was almost speechless until he realized that my son thought he was "winning."  Of course my husband went back at him, and I just sat there and laughed. 

I can't wait to hear stories someday about my son telling his "baby" that he can't go to McDonald's.  And I can't wait until my son starts suggesting places like Olive Garden for lunch.  Maybe then, my husband will listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment