Monday, March 21, 2011

No Pain, No Gain

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.  And let endurance have its perfect result so that you may be perfect and complete lacking in nothing." James 1:2-4

I have started a 30 day Bible study on the book of James.  I love the book of James.  At one point, I even memorized the entire book.  God has been showing me that it's time to start meditating on the book again.  (He even managed to let this Bible study book fall out of my storage box in the garage so that I've been staring at it for the past 2 weeks while working out on my elliptical!  I'm finally listening...)

Today, the first lesson seemed to be right on point with what has been going on in my life.  You could say that I have been facing a trial of some kind, a trial that I hope will develop endurance and maturity in my life. This passage reminded me that I must face this trial with joy.  I have to admit, I've been feeling sorry for myself lately.  And I've been harboring resentment towards the person at the root of my trial.  But God tells me that I must have joy! 

Trials are spiritual exercise for the soul.  Just like my muscles hurt and beg me to stop working out during the first few weeks of getting in shape, my soul doesn't want to hurt either.  But if I'm going to gain spiritual endurance and perfection, it's got to hurt sometimes.  I just have to face the hurt with joy.  I must have joy knowing that God is working in my life and He wants to make my life complete.

Let's remember today that Christians must endure various trials in order to be perfect and complete.  And let's "exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character hope." Romans 5:-4

No comments:

Post a Comment