Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Colorful Personality

One of my professors recently made my class take a series of personality tests.  According to the analysis he gave, I have a red personality.  This means that I'm a goal-driven person who likes blunt answers and facts.  If you want to communicate with me, I apparently like short meetings, little detail, and I always want to know the bottom line.  I have the personality of a military officer, a politician, and an investment banker.

I guess I'm supposed to feel good knowing that I'm ambitious and in a category of successful people.  (Donald Trump, Bill Gates, Martha Stewart, Jerry Jones and John McCain all share my personality type.)  But this analysis definitely made me think about how I communicate with others.  Just because I like to know facts and figures doesn't mean my friends and/or clients do too.  Some people need a pep talk before they get bad news.  Some people need to express themselves before then can receive information (these people drive me crazy).  And some people need me to care about their feelings.

I'm working on this.  I'm trying to understand other people now that I have a better understanding of myself.  I'm also trying to find new ways to communicate with people who don't understand my communication style.  I've decided to focus on James 1:19 (NIV) which says "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." With God's grace, hopefully my colorful personality will become a blessing to others!

No comments:

Post a Comment