Friday, March 18, 2011

Texas Does Some Things Right

One perk of being married to a lawyer is getting to go to work with him when he travels.  This week we visited some places that could have been named Nowhere, Texas.  Of course, my version of the middle of nowhere is  a place that is an hour from the nearest Walmart or Super Target.  To be honest, I'm not sure I could handle living in Nowhere, Texas.  I'm too much like Lisa Douglas, the attorney's wife in Green Acres, because "city life is the life for me."

That said, there's something beautiful about the smaller towns in Texas.  Somehow, despite all our technological advances and cultural changes, the small towns have managed to maintain a charming, historic vibe.  Plus, the people are friendly, you feel safe, and the scenery is amazing!

Cameron was one of the larger towns on our tour and it didn't disappoint.  It is home to the beautiful Milan County Courthouse. 


When I wondered inside the building, I felt like I had walked into a Grisham novel.  It was beautiful!  I think I was actually living history.


Ok, my reaction might be surprising to some people.  I mean, it was just a courthouse.  But Texas does courthouses right.  They're architecturally pleasing and the historical societies have done amazing work to preserve them.  Even in the small towns of Texas, justice is served in some beautiful places.

No comments:

Post a Comment