Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Christian Race Across America

"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:1-2

At one point in my life I considered myself to be a runner. After 2 kids and 4 years of sedentary work, I'm just now building back up my endurance level.  I try to do aerobic exercise for 1 hour a day, either pushing 50 lbs of children around my neighborhood for a couple of miles or maintaining a steady pace for 5-6 miles on my elliptical.  The key to successfully completing my task is to work out at a good pace, wear good shoes,  ensure that I have a complete hour set aside to work out and of course I have to have inspiration.  My mom inspires me, and I want to look as good as she does when I'm her age.  And my goal is to reach a certain number on the scale.  I'm not quite there yet, but I'm making good progress. 

Although my regimen isn't perfect, it's a picture of how I'm supposed to be living my Christian life.   I'm supposed to prepare myself by laying aside sin and distractions.  I'm supposed to live a lifestyle that can be maintained with endurance.  And I'm supposed to look to Jesus as my inspiration and my goal.  He lived this life, He suffered my penalty, He overcame death and humanity and now He is seated at the right hand of God. Talk about the ULTIMATE example.

I think sometimes I run the Christian relay or the sprint.  You know, I get all revved up and excited but then get tired and discouraged and let life drag me down.  It's easy to do when people close to you let you down.  Or work gets in the way.  Or when you get sick.

But I'm ready to start living my Christian Race Across America.  Have you seen the guy who is running 40 miles a day across America? (Check out Regis and Kelli).  I want to be able to maintain my lifestyle and my Bible study.  So I've started by sharing my goals with a few people.  Then I laid aside my first encumbrance.  Hopefully this time next year I'll still be running strong...

No comments:

Post a Comment