Saturday, March 19, 2011

5 Ways to Be a Good Wife

"She does him good and not evil all the days of her life." Proverbs 31:12

When I first read this description of the Excellent Wife in Proverbs, I thought that this was obvious.  Shouldn't every wife want to do good for her husband?  But then I realized how important this is.  This wife doesn't just do good for her husband, but she does good all the days of her life.  She doesn't do evil to him, EVER.  She doesn't divorce him, threaten him, manipulate him, nag him, or belittle him.  She does good to him for her entire life. 

While studying this verse, I found a sermon on point. See Sermon Central to read the manuscript.  The preacher, George Dillahunty, explained that a wife should strive to do good to meet the needs of her husband.  This can be hard to do, because first, you have to know what your own husband needs.  After 6 1/2 years of marriage, I'm still learning what my man needs.  And maybe that's because his needs change over time.  But my job is to figure it out and to meet his needs.

In the Proverbs 31 sermon I found, the preacher listed 5 ways that a wife can meet some basic needs of her husband. They are the following:

1. A wife must provide physical intimacy to her husband.

2. A wife must respect her husband.

3. A wife must give encouragement.

4. A wife must take care of her appearance.

5. A wife must be a good mother.  (A husband can't fulfill this role with his children.)

If you are not a wife yet, I hope this blog post will show you that this isn't a job to be taken lightly.  If it were easy, there wouldn't be so many divorces.  If you are a wife, remember to always do good to your husband.  I know that I need to work on a few of these areas.  I'm not a perfect wife, but I hope that someday my husband can say, "she did good to me all the days of her life."

No comments:

Post a Comment