Monday, March 28, 2011

What Goes in Influences What Comes Out

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he mediates day and night." Psalm 1:1-2

Did you know that according to the U.S. Census Bureau, in the year 2008, the average American  wasted 3,454 hours on media (TV, books, internet, etc.) and spent $882.02 on media related items?  Can you imagine how all that time invested in media affects us?  Isn't it scary to think that this much media consumption is what is influencing our society?  No wonder our standards have decreased.  Media is brainwashing us into thinking like the world, and as Christians, we're letting it.

Along with my morning study on the book of James, I've started reading Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild, by Mary Kassian.  I originally bought the book, because I heard her on the radio recommending the book as a good gift for high school graduates.  I had no idea that her study of the Proverbs 7 girl gone wild would have such an impact on me.  To get the full benefit of reading the book, I've started following along with her book blog and am doing the study questions that are posted on her website http://www.girlsgonewise.com/.

In chapter 3, she suggests implementing a media reduction plan.  I've always thought that the idea of a media fast was a little too much and impractical--I mean I need my computer for school!  But Mary suggests that you 1) Turn Off, 2) Trim Back, and 3) Tune In.  Customize your own plan that will allow you to spend time delighting in God's Word instead of allowing yourself to be influenced by worldy counsel and TV. 

So for the next 30 days, I'm going to stop watching junky TV shows, like Grey's Anatomy.  I'm going to stop shopping online. I'm going to turn off my car radio and turn on my Christian CD's.  I'm going to stay reading my Bible every day.  I'm going to read the stack of books that I bought from the Christian bookstore last week instead of my magazines.  And I am NOT going to join Facebook--so stop asking!  Not only will this plan make me a better person, but it will benefit my family and my grades.

If the statistics are correct, most of us will have spent half of our lives consuming media in some form.  Let's all make a resolution that by the time we're 70, our own statistics will show that we used half of our time consuming God's Word and godly counsel.  If you're interested in joining the 30 day media challenge, here is a link with more information Media Reduction Plan. I signed up this morning, and Mary has already sent me my first encouraging email!

No comments:

Post a Comment