Monday, November 28, 2011

Finishing My Task

" However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." Acts 20:24


I have been in a state of almost-panic for the last 2 weeks.  The holidays are getting closer and so is my Bar Review course.  This means that I'm just about to the point where I'm going to have to bury my head into a pile of law books and keep it there until the end of February.  Unfortunately, I'm not like other law graduates who can literally spend 24/7 in a law library for 10 weeks.  I'm a mom.

I'm really not sure that there are enough hours in the next 3 months for me to sleep, work out, do my devotions, blog, play with my children, cook meals for my family, keep up with our laundry, clean our house, work on phonics with my son, sit for 4-5 hours doing legal work at my home computer for my job, and still manage to keep up with my Bar study schedule on a daily basis.  Oh, and that doesn't even include doctor visits, hair appointments, church activities, church conferences, play dates or any other spontaneous activity that might occur.  Just thinking about the next 3 months almost makes me cry.  How in the world am I supposed get everything done and make everyone happy?

I think the answer to this question is simple--I'm not. Jesus has called me and has given me a task.  Every single day, I'm just going to have to do what He has called me to do for that day.  And if that day's to-do list doesn't include mopping the floors (I really hope it doesn't) then, I won't mop the floors.  Ok, I'm not trying to shirk housework here.  What I'm trying to say is that my above to-do list sounds great and noble from an earthly standpoint.  But from an eternal perspective, some of my activities might not be so important on a daily basis.

I haven't been called to live my life to please everyone else, or to have the most presentable house.  I certainly haven't been called to be a Martha Stewart, Supernanny, and Nancy Grace wrapped into one person.  (Although, sometimes I feel that this is what I've been wrongly striving for.)  Instead, God has called me for His purposes.  I am to testify to the gospel of His grace by doing the tasks that He has designated for me to do.  If I can just focus on that mission, then I'm confident that He will give me the grace to accomplish His purposes in me.  Day by day, God can and will reveal His plans for me.  I just have to wait on Him.

So in the upcoming weeks, when you see me and catch a glimpse of panic in my eyes (more likely craziness), please remind me to take it day by day.  And please pray with me that God will extend His grace to me to let me accomplish what He needs me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment