Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Stay on the Sidewalk

"'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways' declares the Lord. 'As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.'" Isaiah 55:8-9


We had a pleasant evening the other night as we wandered our local main street in search of photo ops.  And thanks to my brilliant mother, we ended up with some great family pictures--something that is rare with toddlers.  During our little outing, however, I almost went into heart failure a few times as a noticed my 3 year old bouncing around the sidewalk and occasionally veering into the road.  My husband and I repeatedly told him to calm down and to stay on the sidewalk, but he seemed unable to comprehend that the curb was his boundary line.  It was just so tempting to step over the line.

When we explained to our son that the road is dangerous, I could tell that there was a comprehension gap between our thinking and his.  He didn't really believe us.  He's never witnessed an accident or seen someone get hit by a car.  So I get that it's hard for him to grasp the concept.  That said, I expect him to stop immediately whenever I say, "stop."  I don't care if he doesn't understand my reasoning. I will reinforce the need for immediate obedience with discipline if necessary.  I'm not about to have my child get hit by a car because he doesn't take me seriously. 

I wonder how often God feels that way about us.  He clearly defines our boundaries in His Word, and we tiptoe all around them.  Sometimes we jump the curb for a couple seconds and think that we're ok.  Or we justify crossing the curb so that we can help others onto the sidewalk with us.  But we don't realize that God has a reason for commanding us to stay on His sidewalk.  We don't have to understand why.  We just have to obey.

We can't doubt God.  We shouldn't question His judgment.  And we certainly shouldn't gripe and complain about where He has placed us.  If He wants to lead us to another block, He will do that safely in His own way.  In the mean time, we're called to stay on the sidewalk and wait.  God has His reasons and His Word "will not return to [Him] empty, but will accomplish what [He] desires and achieve the purpose for which [He] sent it." (Isaiah 55:11)

It's amazing the lessons you can learn from parenting a child.  It's also amazing how much better it is for everyone when we obey.

1 comment:

  1. That was convicting! And I was enjoying my pity party. I really did need this reminder. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete