Monday, November 14, 2011

Football Pick 'Em Week 10: No Glass Slippers in This Sport

OK.  It's official.  I prefer basketball over football.  This oh so great and exciting game is clearly way too predictable.  I now have a 33 point lead over my opponent.  I'm pretty sure I can avoid watching any more games this season and I'll probably still win.  You'd think at this point, you would know that some NFL teams aren't worth picking.

For example, one should NEVER pick Indianapolis or St. Louis. It's possible, they might win a game here or there, but odds are they're going to keep losing. Yes, I know that St. Louis did win in week 8, but that was clearly a fluke.  So if my dear hubby wants to keep picking Indy to win, that's fine with me. But really, these teams are reliable losers.

On the other hand, Green Bay and San Francisco are predictable winners.  Unless they're playing each other, it's likely that they're going to win.  So failing to pick these teams as winners is like handing me points too.  I honestly can't imagine the season getting any more interesting than it is at this point.  There's really no chance of a Cinderella story in football. 

I'm sure you're thinking, "What about college football?"  I suppose it's true that no one expected Texas Tech to beat Oklahoma or for TCU to beat Boise State.  And in some deep dark place in my heart I do take great joy in seeing what college teams are overrated.  But at this point when the season should be at a peak intensity level, we all know that the BCS has ruined our holiday season.  Without true playoffs, the teams who ought to be competing won't, while the teams who have better PR are going to be hoping for a good match-up.  This is an utter waste of a post season.  It's meaningless.  And it's about as dumb as handing out trophies to all children who participate in little league football, because this method ensures that there will never be winners.

So, I guess I prefer college basketball.  Anybody can win.  March Madness keeps it real.  Nobody goes on strike or sues over antitrust issues.  And at least in basketball, sometimes Cinderella finds her happily ever after.  Who wouldn't live happily ever after with a glass slipper like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment