Monday, September 19, 2011

Football is a Woman's Sport Too

A dress by Tru Color
What has happened to me?  Yesterday afternoon I sat on the couch for about 3 hours actually watching NFL games.  My husband's evil plan to get me more involved in his activities has worked.  Not only did I watch the TV yesterday, but I actually started yelling and cheering for teams that I've never cared about in my life.  And I have a bone to pick with the NFL Red Zone Channel, the cute little 4 game shot you put on the screen doesn't work very well.  I have a gigantic TV in my living room and I could barely see what was happening in any of the games.  Stick to 1 or 2 games at a time.  But the concept of watching all the games at once is pretty genius...

So we're 2 weeks into the NFL season and I'm hanging in there on my weekly picks game.  After a rough start last week, I gained ground yesterday when Buffalo, Washington, and Tampa Bay squeaked out their wins at the end of their games.  I still don't know much about any player on any team. (Except for Buffalo's Scott Chandler, but that's only because we went to youth group together in high school.)  So I figured out my own method for game picks.  I call it the handbag method.  It's my motivation for continuing this male activity.  I can't divulge the details of my method here, because I'm pretty sure my husband reads this blog.

Technically, I'm in the lead on our weekly picks.  In addition to the NFL games, we're also picking college games.  Last week I said that I liked college football, and I've proven that I know something about college football by maintaining a 4 point lead for the last 2 weeks.  I'm tied in my NFL picks and I really don't anticipate getting a huge lead anytime soon.  But we'll see.  This Cinderella did manage to win in her March Madness bracket challenge. 

My biggest problem is that my husband is a walking book of sports statistics.  He literally knows just about everything about everyone in baseball, basketball, and football.  In the past, we couldn't even go to a major league baseball game without him actually knowing somebody on each team.  Like he actually played with these guys at some point.  It's really hard to compete with that elite level of knowledge.  But when a designer handbag is on the line, I have to believe that my sports fairy godmother is going to work her magic.  What I'm saying is that I still have a chance.  Even if I'm hanging by a thread.

I'll have to admit that this football thing is kind of fun.  Who knew that a girl could actually enjoy watching the Buccaneers and the Bills on Sunday afternoon?  I didn't even watch all of my "own" Cowboy game!  I suppose if done correctly, football can be a woman's sport too.  Maybe it's time to break out the bedazzler and decorate my Cowboy's jersey.  Or maybe next year I'll convince the boys to let me play fantasy football too.  Maybe we should just see how this week goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment