Friday, September 2, 2011

Learning Verses at Home

"And don't forget to do good and to share with those in need." Hebrews 13:16a


This verse is my son's memory verse for Sunday School.  Every week, the Children's ministry posts a blog for the parents with reading assignments and Bible verses to memorize.  Until recently, I hadn't really spent a lot of time reviewing the assignments with my son.  After all, he's only 3. 

Recently, both my boys were promoted to different classes, so I figured that I probably need to be a little more vigilant on following through with our weekly "homework."  I'll have to admit, I was really unsure about dealing with memory verses.  Is my son really able to handle weekly Bible verses?  Possibly.  I mean, the kid can remember events that happened when he was 18 months old.  So I figured, why not see if he can remember Bible verses too.

The first week was a little rocky.  (We've had this verse for 2 weeks.)  Every morning at breakfast, we would review his verse.  He was a little all over the place the first few days and acted like he totally didn't get what we were doing.  But yesterday, he came into my office and said his verse for me all by himself!  Somewhere along the long, he was actually retaining the information.  Now, he has started randomly quoting his verse throughout the day.  He gives me a new perspective on meditating on God's Word day and night--even a child can do it.

I'm actually really excited about starting another verse with him next week.  This actually forces me to memorize Scripture as well.  I write down the memory verse on a sticky note and place it on the front of the refrigerator. So now, whenever I go to get the boys milk or juice, I'm reminded to review our verse. 

Don't underestimate the brilliance of a child.  And don't miss out on the early opportunities to teach a little one how to learn and love Scripture!  I know that I'm wishing I had started sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment