Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I Will Not Fear


I think in order to be a good lawyer, you have to have the gift of foresight.  Or at least you have to be able to envision the worst case scenario and make sure that the worst case never happens.  This is probably why lawyers are stereotypically "downers."  You know, they're stressed out worriers who are slightly paranoid.  They should be.  That's their job.

Unfortunately, this can carry over into life too.  My husband and I have recognized that we have to be so careful that our personalities and our jobs don't cause us to raise our family in an overcautious, paranoid environment.  We really just have to let go sometimes and remember that we can plan and take all the necessary precautions in our personal lives, but God is still the decision maker.  Whatever He wants to happen will happen in our lives regardless of all the risk management we've done.

This gives me such peace to think about the fact that I can release the burden of fear and worry with regards to my life and family.  The constant vigilance that is attached to my job description does not have to define me.  And the constant burdens that I carry as a mother, don't have to be mine alone.  Because in reality, all I can do is my best and trust that God will handle life.  Fear just doesn't fit into this picture.

As I was contemplating this reality last night, the words of the song, How Can I Fear, by Ron Hamilton, were ringing through my brain.  This morning, I found a beautiful version of the song on You Tube by the Harold Dean Miller Family (you guys are awesome!). Both of my boys came running to the computer to listen.  And that's when I realized that this song needs to become part of their musical repertoire.  I learned this song when I was their age and it has stuck with me.  It's funny sometimes how the things you learned as a child become amazingly relevant and meaningful the older you get.     

When shadows fall and the night covers all
There are things that my eyes cannot see.
I'll never fear, for the Saviour is near.
My LORD abides with me!
 
How can I fear? Jesus is near!
He ever watches over me!
Worries all cease; He gives me peace.
How can I fear with Jesus?

When I'm alone and I face the unknown

And I fear what the future may be,
I can depend on the strength of my Friend!
He walks along with me.
 
How can I fear? Jesus is near!
He ever watches over me!
Worries all cease; He gives me peace.
How can I fear with Jesus?

Jesus is King! He controls everything!

He is with me each night and each day.
I trust my soul to the Saviour's control;
He drives all fear away!

How can I fear? Jesus is near!

He ever watches over me!
Worries all cease; He gives me peace.
How can I fear with Jesus? 



1 comment: