Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A New Perspective on the NFL

I survived my first NFL weekend.  This year, my husband got this brilliant idea that I might be willing to embrace professional football if there was a huge incentive in it for me.  He signed us up in a Yahoo league where he and I pick who is going to win every week.  At the end of the season, he promised that if I win I'll get a huge prize--like a designer handbag.  I'm not sure what he gets if he wins, but he's already winning because I'm watching NFL games. (I'm kind of thinking that if I watch all season I'll get the handbag anyway.)

I don't know why I've never really liked the NFL.  I just can't get into it.  College games seem so much more surprising and unpredictable.  Plus, I have my own college team that I cheer for every week.  But professional football is like watching a bunch of overpaid men putting on a show every week.  It's the old-school reality television. 

Anyway, I don't think I'm winning at this point.  I would be if the Cowboys and Broncos hadn't had major flubs in their 4th quarters.  Who would have predicted a fumble at the 1 yard line?  Really, Tony!  But as you can see, my husband got what he wanted because I actually have a good understanding of who did what across the entire NFL.  I confess that I even watched SportsCenter this morning to catch up on my scores.  Something is definitely wrong with me.

I love girly things.  I love feminine things.  Football just doesn't seem feminine at all.  But when there's a designer handbag attached to the season, football takes on an entirely new meaning.  So if your man is wishing that you would be interested in his ball games week in and week out, try some negotiating.  And you too could be well on your way to a dream handbag.  In this sport, it seems that everybody wins.  The man gets his ballgame watching buddy.  And the woman gets a new (and much earned) accessory.

1 comment:

  1. It could be worse, you could be a Colts fan. (For help with your picks you should start watching Mike & Mike in the Morning on ESPN2. On Friday mornings they do their stone cold lead pipe locks for the weekend.)

    ReplyDelete