Tuesday, September 27, 2011

This Little Light

"You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light." Psalm 18:28


I'm not the kind of mother that just buys everything her kiddos want.  But every so often, when one of my little guys sincerely wants something, I cave and buy it.  This happened last week at the Dallas Cowboy's Pro Shop when one of my boys found a rather cool looking football night light.  It didn't have a price tag on it, so I was hesitant.  But when my son explained how this night light was something he really wanted, I couldn't resist.  (My little logical thinker has figured out that logic works well on his analytical mother.)  We've been having some issues at night with him needing a light on, so I figured that this little gadget might make life better for all of us.  Mommy gave in.

That night, when my husband tucked our little guy into bed and helped him turn on his new night light. Our son then told Daddy, "I love you Daddy, and I love my night light too."  This made me smile, because I knew that my son was serious and sincere.  Of course he loves his daddy.  But he also really does love his night light.  It gives him security.  It allows him to see into the darkness.  And it helps him find his way when he needs to come find Mommy and Daddy or the bathroom in the middle of the night.  He doesn't have to scream into the darkness for Mommy and Daddy to come to him anymore.  Now, he can see.

When I found this verse, I was struck by the fact that God is like my night light. Without Him, I'm like that little boy screaming into the darkness for help because I'm scared, have a physical need, or feel alone.  Having God illuminate my path truly does make all the difference in the world.  It's amazing that my son is so appreciative of his little light that he's willing to pray for it and tell it he loves it every night. 

I just hope that I show that proper affection to God for His work and light in my life.  Because of God, I am not alone.  I don't have to wander aimlessly through life.  I don't have to worry and carry constant stress being scared of the future.  I now know that God will show me my path and give me just enough light to get me through every day and season of life.  Plus, I know that His light is always going to be there.  I just have to look for it and follow it.

So if I haven't said it recently, "I love you Father and I love that you're my night light too."

No comments:

Post a Comment