Friday, September 30, 2011

How to Shop for a Baby Gift When You Don't Know the Gender of the Baby


It's baby shower season.  My friends and family members are all expecting new little ones soon and it's fun to be able to watch from afar.  I mean, it's about time I got to enjoy watching everyone else be pregnant.  And of course that means it's time to shop for baby gifts.  This, my friends, is easier said than done.

How do you shop for a baby gift when you don't know the gender of the baby?  Let me just get this off my chest--if you choose not to find out the baby's gender for your first baby, don't expect great baby gifts.  Really, this makes baby shower shopping really really hard.  Almost to the point of being rude.  If you want to be surprised on babies #2 and #3 it's really no big deal, because people typically buy you gifts after they're born.  But not finding out Baby #1's gender only results in horrible baby gifts.

To all those "gender neutral" prospective parents out there, let's be clear about something.  Most stores don't carry many gender neutral items.  Even the baby clothing is divided into baby boy and baby girl sections.  You might be lucky to find an orange or red stroller, but blue and pink dominate the baby items.  I even tried multiple stores to find a "gender neutral" blanket this week.  I had such a hard time that I almost bought a red fur throw, until I remembered that this was for a baby.  I'm sure somebody will think that the gift I actually bought is too boyish, but in my opinion, it's not my fault.  Better to buy a baby girl blue than to dress a little boy in pink, right?

So what do buy when you're shopping for a gender neutral gift?  Well, for starters, you could buy off of the mom's baby registry.  I know, this is so boring.  So if you're wanting to do something a little more exciting, pick a theme gift.  Mickey Mouse, Dr. Seuss, safari, or even sports team gear are all great ideas.  Or, buy the baby something cute that relates to the parents.  For example, if daddy is a doctor, buy a pair of scrubs.  Or if mommy is a teacher, buy some books and wooden alphabet blocks.  Be creative.  And give yourself plenty of time, because most of these specialty items will have to be purchased online (Babies R Us carries most of these ideas online although not in store).  Otherwise, you're stuck choosing between yellow or green blankets and sleepers.  And come on, don't we all hate yellow?

If you are or have been a "gender neutral" prospective parent, this blog post really isn't intended to be slap on the wrist.  I've had a baby.  I understand that pregnancy fogs your thinking and makes you do things that you normally would not do.  Trust, me, after birth the hormones only get worse.  But anyway, it's your baby and you have the right to do whatever you want.  Just don't be disappointed when your neighbor gets a really cool Juicy Couture outfit and matching stroller for her baby girl and you only get the yellow Graco stroller.  Remember, it's what you wanted.  All so that you could be surprised for a few seconds at the hospital!

And to all the baby gift buyers out there, I feel your pain.  Just remember the gift giving rule that my mother taught me: always buy gifts for other people that you would want for yourself.  So if you've been dying to buy a pink zebra outfit with a big floppy bow, go for it.  Just make sure that you buy a blue sailor outfit just in case it's a boy.  Or maybe just include a gift receipt.  It's the thought that counts.  And it's all for a good cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment