Sunday, September 11, 2011

That September Day


I was hanging out in the student lounge with my friend after our early morning class when she received a phone call.  It shook her up.  That's when she said that New York had been attacked.  I could tell she was scared to death.  And then she told me that her dad was on a business trip to New York City.

Over the course of the next few minutes, other students were starting to hear more rumors about airplanes and Washington D.C., and at some point, somebody wheeled in a large TV to the student union so that we could watch the news.  The rumors were true.  The United States had been attacked.  I never expected this in my lifetime--especially not during my freshman year of college.

I think the events of 9/11/2001 changed my life in many ways.  For starters, I don't see the world the same way anymore.  I'm not one of those unrealistic dreamers who believes that the entire world is going to lock arms and sing boy scout songs together.  I now see that there is a spiritual battle waging in this world.  There is true evil in the world.  We can't negotiate with it, reason with it, or tolerate it.  We have to pursue what is good and acceptable and perfect.

The events following 9/11 also ignited my interest in politics.  Although I didn't change my major at the time (thanks mom and dad), I did start creating my own political world view.  Somewhere down the road, that led me to law school.  I'm still not sure where I'm headed down the legal path, but for now, I've been called to be an ambassador for Christ in my local legal community.

9/11 also taught me what it means to be an American.  I've read and heard stories of the people who gave their lives in past wars so that I could be free.  But now that my generation has joined in the fight for freedom, I have a better understanding of how costly freedom is.  I value my freedom.  It's rare.  I understand America is a land of free people who have been given an opportunity to live like no one else. 

It's hard to believe that it's been 10 years since that day in the student lounge.  I'm not the same person I was then.  I'm not naive and idealistic.  Now, I'm a Christian who sees a much clearer purpose for my life.  And I'm proud to be an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment